Wednesday, June 9, 2010

World Traveler? Hardly.

Some of my favorite home decor items are knick-knacks I've purchased abroad. The travel bug hits me often and it hits me hard, but I simply don't have the cash flow to jet-set off to Spain, Italy, or Morroco to furnish my home on a moment's notice. One day. One day...

So until I win the lottery, I've located some items that give a home that eclectic, well-traveled look without ever leaving your zip code. First rescue retailer? Target.

For years Target has dabbled in global interior design. Recently I've been very impressed with their specialty items shown here. I think their tagline says it all: "Global decor, right on budget." Feast your eyes.


Those metallic vases are crying out to be used on a bedside table and I simply love that funky mirror for a hallway. Wicker baskets give instant "worldly" appeal without forcing you to venture outside your comfort zone. And who could go wrong with those brightly colored pillows?

Next rescue retailer had better have "world traveler" style appeal. It's Cost Plus World Market. It's their job to appear worldly. Heck, it's in the name!

These paper lanterns are a cute addition to any room, and for around $20, you won't worry about switching them out in a few months. I love a little Asian flair, and I'm never against animal prints.


Remember those capiz shell lanterns I found in Japan? Well here they are again (only lots cheaper) at Cost Plus World Market. Think how fun they'd be in a den or on a desk. The unexpected sparkle will render miles of fun and funk in your home.


Finally, I had to feature these crazy mirrors. Though I can't honestly think of anywhere to put them, I have to respect the creativity. Alhambra-inspired mirrors made out of Reddi-Whip and Waffle boxes. Curious. Sold under the premise of "green design," I think I will pass. But... nice try, Cost Plus World Market. E for effort.


1 comment:

  1. those mirrors are a real indian style. i forget the exact name, but making metal items, like lanterns, with recycled paper/cardboard packaging is authentic india.

    ReplyDelete